Environment Challenge #4 WIP - (Un)natural Power Extraction!
Hello All, I wanted to bring back Environment challenges after the last CHOW, it looks like there have been 3 so far, long ago. Just thought this would be a fun way to shake things up, especially because I don't know about you all, but I've been more interested in environment design lately and thought this would be a fun portfolio building exercise. My intention for this is to kind of simulate the type of concept you might be asked to come up with for a level of a game or other visual media, but leave it more open ended to allow for individual creative freedom. Here is the brief:

Image by Eric Anderson, from 2016 game Obduction to serve as vague inspiration.

(Un)natural Power Extraction

Design an environment concept which is a natural environment that stands in aesthetic contrast to man-made machines designed to harness and/or transport power from it. Imagine what type of constructions could be sensible AND visually interesting. Turbines? Boilers? Pipes? Cords? Particle beams? etc. Are the constructions new, or abandoned long ago? Is the power extraction in harmony with the environment, or is it destructive? These are questions that are up to you to consider.

Have fun, and be creative! The possibilities are fairly open ended, and there is not any requirement to entirely consider every aspect of how the machines may function in reality as long as it is convincing enough, and fulfills the prompt in terms of mood and aesthetic. Keep in mind though, that the challenge is about design. So as a guideline, try to go beyond something overly generic that could be easily generated by AI.

Contest Rules:

• You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • Must be original work created for the challenge.
  • Work may be 2D or 3D*
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

*Rules for CHOW forbade the use of purchased or downloaded assets not created by you. However, since using them for environment concepts is so commonplace and expected nowadays, particularly for trees, rocks, vegetation and so on, I think this is permissible for 'generic' elements.

Deadline is Monday, April 15th @ UTC: 23:59
 -+|| WIP THREAD ||+-

Joking

Messages In This Thread
Environment Challenge #4 WIP - (Un)natural Power Extraction! - by JosephCow - 03-16-2024, 01:59 PM