Vitor sketchbook
some pages of the sketchbook I don't like to put pressure on myself when I draw in my sketchbook so I don't think it's pretty there are a lot of terrible drawings I think these are the least worst pages

Attached Files Image(s)

Dude! The elephant lady strutting her stuff! That's a wicked sketch! Please make some more! Your anatomy studies too are mega...I love how you outline them. More please :)

(04-25-2024, 11:17 AM)Damien Levs Wrote: Dude! The elephant lady strutting her stuff! That's a wicked sketch! Please make some more! Your anatomy studies too are mega...I love how you outline them. More please :)

Thank you so much. I have lots of sketches like this in my sketchbook. I'll start to post more.

I've started a character design project, and a friend is acting as the art director to help me in the process. Character story: Aurora Dancer, a dancer trained since youth, is forced to confront violence after a personal tragedy. Mastering both dance and the use of firearms, she travels the world, fighting injustices and protecting the innocent with a unique blend of gracefulness and lethal skill

So I've sent him the first clothig explorations:

The feedback he gave me was that the delivery was excellent, but the clothing design is too fantasy-oriented; it could even be elvish clothing. So, he made some changes based on what I sent, incorporating elements characteristic of flamenco dancers.

The idea is for her to have two outfits: the dance dress and the combat undergarment. The firearms are hidden under the dress.

So I revised it after his feedback and finalized the design of the face and hair, which were still open.

There's still a lot of design work to solve, but I think I've made significant progress just this week

Here some inspiration if you want.I think this a great game that seem to resonate with what i see in the artistic direction.

You could try to push for some earing or a necklace or some flowing element to renforce that feeling of movement.For example breaking angularity of your collar for more curve shape.

Removing the corset for more flexiblity in the movement and leaving some skin for added sex appeal.

Personally i see the robe to be shorter not hugging the ground as much as it would also go against the idea she dance with elegance obviously not all dancing STYLE are about running around so it really how you see her style of dance that dictate how much you want the design to restrict the movement.

bayonetta-3
https://www.creativeuncut.com/art_bayonetta-3_a.html
bayonetta-2
https://www.creativeuncut.com/art_bayonetta-2_a.html
bayonetta
https://www.creativeuncut.com/art_bayonetta_a.html

My Sketchbook

Perfection is unmeasurable therefor it impossible to reach it.
putting the characters in some dance poses

Attached Files Image(s)

Design work in concept art is generally how to explain the character, and their costume will answer a lot of questions we may have. Having said that, I feel some of your earlier dress sketches make more sense than the latest version. One or two may be more elven, but in the latest I don't know what to make of some components, or why they are there. It could just be missing some crucial details, are those pompoms or buckles, Corset or seams?.

The dress is also appearing more mermaid skirt, and they do have them, but these were influenced by the 1930s-50s styles. With this western gunslinger theme I reckon you ought to look to around the 1800's for inspiration. These are mostly fitted only around the waist and hips, with A line or circle skirts, weighed down by the ruffles.

It's minor, but with her facial expressions as well - are there any attempts without her eyebrows always shaped like a tilde(~)? I think this was maybe a way to add that sass or flare to the character but when it's the same in every expression, it makes them a little ridged. 

That's my observation, I hope it points out some opportunity to experiment more with costume :) 

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
As I said before, I still have a lot of design stuff to figure out, I'm finding the best way to explain my idea, as for the previous ones being better, I strongly disagree. On the other hand, I agree about the expressions, there's a lot of repetition in the eyebrows in practically all of them.
Another important thing about character design is that the coordinator will choose the iteration they think is best and provide feedback regardless of which one you prefer.I'm approaching this project with that in mind, so I respect the guidance of my fictional art director.

Just clarifying - I didn't say the previous ones were better, and sure you can disagree, although this was an observation more so than an opinion. There's no offense intended to your friend - we're all here to share our work and improve. I simply mean the structural elements made more sense. i.e. the various Holsters and straps were easy to distinguish, whereas the bottom of post #224 is missing a lot of indicators on structure, material and texture. You have paid more attention in the earlier designs in this post, than the last. It's just apparent. 

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
I didn't take offense,im sorry if I gave that impression.Regarding the design, the idea is for the weapons to be hidden in the dress; that was the intention behind choosing it this way, because I can place the elements on clothing underneath this dress. The smaller parts of the dress design ended up being quite generic, which are things I need to change. The hat ended up departing from the Latin/flamenco visual, which is what I intended, and leaning more towards American Western, which is what I should avoid.

So, don't take this last one as the final design; I'll refine the materials issue further now. I hope you keep an eye on my project; I'll be very grateful.

Nice work on the figure drawings, really like the ones with the clothing in particular. Those folds look very natural and impressive, great stuff!

Really cool studies and I especially like the elephant sketch! Keep up the great work!

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Sun "Everything has been done, but not by you" Sun